A photo tour at the second version of the Assen Circuit, by Herman Liesemeijer. This 16.5 Km (10.25 Miles) long street circuit was used for the Dutch TT from 1926 to 1954.

TT Circuit Assen 1926 - 1954 version

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Start/Finish
We start our lap at Start/Finish, which is since 1926 on the same site.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - S-Corner
From 1926 to 2005 the fast right left combination called “S-Bocht” (S-Corner) was the first corner of the Assen Circuit. Today the new stadium section begins here.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954
Here we enter the public road. Note that in the old day’s the whole Assen Circuit was on public roads.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - "De Haar"
This section was called “De Haar”.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954
The right hand corner is not a part of the circuit and is constructed later to make a connection to a new road. The narrow road in front is the original one.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954
This part of the road is very authentic.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954
The next part of the old street circuit is now a bicycle path!

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954
Look at the trees on the right. At the site where you see a different type of trees was a right hand corner which is removed to make place for a new road.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954
Here we’re following the authentic road to the Bartelds Corner.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Bartelds Corner
And here we’re arrived at the Bartelds Corner, a famous point at the old Assen Circuit.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Bartelds CornerAssen Circuit 1926 - 1954
After the Bartelds Corner we accelerate on the straight. The little detour has been constructed recently, just like the red white fence.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954
Can you imagine this was the TT Circuit?

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954
One of the many kinks at the old Assen Circuit…

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954
This was a famous braking point and the beginning of the twisty section at “Oude Tol”.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - "Oude Tol" Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - "Oude Tol"
The name of this section “Oude Tol” (Dutch for old tollhouse) comes from an old tollhouse at the site of the house on the right, which is also named “Oude Tol”.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Exit "Oude Tol" section
The last left right combination of the “Oude Tol” section.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Long straight to Hooghalen
The two km (1.25 Miles) long straight to Hooghalen.
Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Hooghalen
At the end of the long staight we enter the village of Hooghalen…

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Hooghalen
Where we have to brake very hard for this rectangular street corner.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Hooghalen
The S-corner at Hooghalen.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Hooghalen
The old road to Laaghalen is now cut by the A28 motorway.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Laaghalen
After a detour we’re arrived at Laaghalen. The original track was going straight at this point. The left hand corner in front was built later.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Laaghalen
Here was the original road!

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Laaghalen
This was the original road from Laaghalen to Laahalerveen. On the right the new road.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Road to Laaghalerveen
From here the new road follows the old TT Course.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Road to Laaghalerveen
Long straights and fast kinks were typical for the Assen Circuit those day’s.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Laaghalerveen
After a very fast section hard braking for the twisty Laaghalerveen section. Original this was a medium fast S-corner. Today it’s a rectangular corner.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Laaghalerveen Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Laaghalerveen
At this point the spectators could almost touch the bikes! This is also the site were my father watched the Dutch TT in the early 50s.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Laaghalerveen
The beginning of the long straight back to Assen.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Laaghalerveen to Assen
The new road is turning left, but the old road used to be straight ahead.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Police Training Ground
This part is now a training ground from the Police and officially closed for public…

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Police Training Ground Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Police Training Ground
On the background you see already a Police car. A few seconds later they stopped and I heard dogs barking. That seemed like a good moment to turn around.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - Old meets new
This is the extit of the Police Training Ground. In front you see the back of the tyre wall from the current circuit. Until the nineties here was a connection between the original road and the circuit.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - "Kniebocht"
The last part of the old Assen Circuit is still a part of the new track. Original the last corner was a fast kink called “Kniebocht”. Today it’s a chicane which is famous for overtaking action during the Dutch TT.

Assen Circuit 1926 - 1954 - "Kniebocht"
Exit “Kniebocht” and back to Start/Finish.

© Text and pictures: Herman Liesemeijer.

Thoughts on this subject

Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: youtube.com/circuitsofthepast